Monday, February 24, 2014

Charm Pack Cherry Free Pattern at @FatQuarterShop!



As #talknt and #talknt2's biggest sponsor I'm more than happy to share this one with everyone! And it's a good, fast, neat and usable pattern!


From CaraQuilts
 I was asked about 2 months ago to make up what would be a new free pattern from Fat Quarter Shop made from charm packs, of course I said yes as I am a precut addict.

 I was intrigued by the size of the quilt, charm pack patterns rarely make my 40+" minimum for usable quilts, and the Charm Pack Cherry is about 52-54" (I forget now, I did measure I swear! It is perfect for  using 58 or 60" backing fabrics. Just saying)

You can find all the goods, including a tutorial video with Kimberly all ovver FQS's social media, as well as what I'm thinking is going to be a fairly large parade of quilts (or bloggers who made the quilt) to give you lots and lots of ideas.





 Basically the pattern uses 4 charm packs, two prints and two solids (about 3yards), and you have 12 of each type of charm left over, these are great for adding a border or making a fun back, especially if you make a medallion or maybe something like flying geese or HSTs in an arrow shape, or even a super scrappy binding!

Because I was going to give mine to a baby, and I confess to disliking the hassel of pieced backs that have to be perfectly centered etc, I did back mine in Moda Snuggles.


I only used a FQ for binding, cut to 1.5" and using the Clover bias maker in 3/4" size (the red one), so over all a very scrappable or all new fabrics pattern, both would work awesome!




Check out Sara's at SewSweetness for another layout.




And to encourage some new ones  All Charm Packs will be 20% off at Fat Quarter Shop from Monday morning until Sunday March 2/14 at midnight CST

The pattern is easy, pretty quick, and depending on the colours you choose will look really different, or in one or two colour families even. When I looked at the instructions I actually thought of stained glass windows, the abstract/mostly vertical strips kind, but I don't see it as much with the red. 
A great way to use up charm packs, especially ones from the same designer but different lines, would make this quilt even more interesting, and you could of course choose more than one solid as well.

And because Chelsey is always on top of things over at FQS I have all sorts of images/graphics to show! YAY!




  This one in Sphere, which may be one of my all time favorites, really makes me want to make another! This was the colour combo I wanted originally but it hadn't hit shops yet. I also would love to see it in Plum Sweet with a cream or mauve background.


So looks like fun doesn't it? 




Tell me, are you a stash shopper or always up for some pretty and new? Got tips on either?

1 comment: